Thursday, January 22, 2009

Needing some space....

Today I gave myself space. That doesn't happen often enough. I had a morning meeting and then worked on cleaning one of the closets at church. (Part of my volunteer work.) I still have work to do there, but it looks a little better for now.

My husband invited me to join him for lunch and then to go purchase new tennis shoes. I know that sounds kind of strange, but I need some. I've been hitting the treadmill like a crazy woman and my shoes aren't giving the support I need. It doesn't really matter, though, because I turned him down. I'll get the shoes later, and if you are feeling bad for my husband, he's okay. We were eating dinner together AND I was even planning to cook tonight.

I also called my piano teacher and forfeited my piano lesson. I don't like missing a lesson when we can get one in, but I had something in mind that I wanted to do today. I was longing to work on my songs. That is the kind of stuff that can get squeezed out if you don't make it happen. So, shortly after lunch I packed up a couple of my notebooks, a rhyming dictionary, a thesaurus, and my Bible and headed for Bread Co. If I had stayed at home, it wouldn't have happened....too many distractions.

Bread Co makes for a wonderful writing venue. When the lunch crowd has left, I can stretch out in a booth without feeling guilty. They play instrumental jazz, which is perfect for one like myself who gets bemused by song lyrics (especially if you are trying to write your own). Unlike other coffee shops, you can continue to fill your cup the whole time you are sitting there. It's nice! One price, twenty cups......okay, I only had three.

So what did I do with my space? I made a commitment to myself to finish 5 particular songs I have started, and then I worked on 2 of those five. None are complete at this point, but writing is rewriting as they say!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HOw wonderful to be givien the gift of writing, Deb! I so admire your diligence, your passion for music and the amazing abilities God has gifted you with! I am part of a retreat planning committee here in Varese, and will be one of the owrship leaders- I have such great memories of our retreat leading and joy in getting to know you! Love in Him, Jen