Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Can't Always Have What You Want

I discovered something yesterday that I didn't know existed and I fell in love! All the non-cat-lovers in the world are rolling their eyes at me right about now. That's fine, I don't expect you to understand. I hope you can at least appreciate the beauty of this creature.

This is an ashera cat. It is part African Serval, part Asian Leopard and part domestic cat. Beyond his beauty and the fact that I love cats, I believe I am drawn to him because I've always thought it would be great to own a BIG cat. I'd really like to have a black leopard. I picture myself putting a harness on the cat and walking through the park with him. I could walk through even the deepest of woods, and I don't think anyone would bother me. Ashera's aren't quite that big, as their average weight is around 25 lbs., though they can be up to 40 pounds. I wouldn't really take him to the park. (On a side note, I actually tried to take my cat to the park once. That is another story, but not a very happy one. Best left for another day.)

Since discovering this magnificent feline, I've even entertained the thought of breeding them. What am I thinking? The truth is I will never even own one. Their selling price starts at $22,000 and goes upward to $165,00. I couldn't consider taking that kind of investment for a stroll on the local pathways. The labs and retrievers just wouldn't understand his incredible value.

Yeah, my own little felines (as they would certainly be in comparison) wouldn't have much appreciation for this guy either. Maybe to straighten out my thinking and to let go of my longing, I should consider food costs.....oh, and there is the litter pan issue.......BIG kitty = BIG pan.

No comments: