Monday, April 13, 2009

Resistance to Redemption

This past week I was invited to be a part of something that took me back to a place of past pain...one of the hardest things I have ever walked through in my life. I believe that for the most part I've have worked through the hurt. I am on the other side of the situation now and don't think about it very much. That is why I was surprised by my body's reaction to being back in the place that represented all that I had been through. I was very grateful for the opportunity to sing there again, but I as sat waiting, my chest begin to tighten and it was hard to catch a breath. My heart was remembering. Why?

I don't have an answer, but I wonder what God is doing in it. Does He want me to remember the pain and what He brought me through? Is He reminding me of His faithfulness? Is He showing me that He determines my path, not man? Is He taking me back so the healing can be complete and final? Every remembrance feels like another piece of redemptive work. I am tempted to resist the pain as it surfaces again. I want to push it away quickly. Then I remember that He is doing something in me and I surrender once again to His lead.

No comments: