Monday, October 18, 2010

The Introvert in Me

I once told a friend that I am complete extrovert and complete introvert. It is so true. I am all about relationships and have been told that I know how to do friendship. I love being with people and sharing life, laughing, crying, being quiet together, shouting "Hallelujah!", whatever the moment calls for. Sometimes it is all those in quick succession. The me that is the extrovert loves this stuff. It energizes her!

What of that other side, though? Who is she? What does she need? I ran into her again this weekend. I was attending a songwriter's conference. At the heart of the conference are the words, build relationships. I understand the necessity of those relationships and I don't totally withdraw, but I also don't throw the door open wide and say, "Ya'll come on in!" I chat with those around me even if they are strangers to me, but when everyone is taking pictures of each other and passing their contact info back and forth, I stand back and watch.

I offered hospitality as I hosted two ladies for the event. One I knew, mostly via the internet and a few phone conversations, the other I would meet for the first time when I picked her up at the airport. I think the introvert reached back and grabbed the extrovert pushing her in front momentarily for these situations. The extrovert was happy to do it!

What does this introvert side of me need, as I stand back and observe? Just as I can be strengthened by being in the company of others, the other side of me needs quiet and space to be renewed and refreshed. She also wants to know that those relationships are honest, real and trustworthy. So knock on the door and please don't be offended if it opens slow and cautiously from time to time. The next time you knock, I could very well throw it open wide and say "Ya'll, come on in!"

No comments: