Saturday, December 6, 2008

Becoming Better

A few years ago I decided to take piano lessons. I can read music and I have played at the piano since I was young, but I was self-taught and I had much to learn. My initial goal was to learn chords, how to play from them, to be better at timing and to get a feel for playing different genres of music. I also felt that learning all these things would hopefully improve my songwriting. Initially I had not wanted to play classical pieces. I enjoy classical music, but honestly didn't believe I had the ability or the time to learn them. They seemed so complicated.

I have learned all these things and so much more, including the classical stuff. It is hard to know where I am on the continuum of my own ability, but I do know I have come a long way. Yet, each little part I finally grasp in my head or trust my ears for and get to come out my fingers reminds me of the countless other steps I need to take.

I asked my instructor the other day what a daily practice schedule would look like to be better in a reasonable amount of time. This began a discussion of what "better" and "reasonable" mean. I told him I want to be good yesterday. I'm serious, though, what does it really take? And this question leads to more questions....what am I doing this for? to what end? at this stage of my life? am I longing to be a better pianist simply for the sake of being better, or because maybe I really can?

The funny thing about all of this is that it isn't something I actually pictured myself doing "someday", you know? Yet, here I am, compelled beyond all reason to do it and to do it well. So what will it take?

"Be determined as you must in order to reach your goals----take charge with a can do attitude---but let it be known that there is always room for improvisation."

"Don't look back to find out where you are going. The answer is in front of you...Be a precursor of who you will become later." (both quotes from The Art of Growing Up)

No comments: