Monday, December 8, 2008

Birthdays....

When I was a child I had a tendency to become sad the night before my birthday. I know, most children are happy, excited, even giddy as their birthday approaches. I never claimed to be like "most". I vividly remember the night before my 8th birthday. I was crying, nearly sobbing. Someone came into my room and asked me what was wrong. (The "Someone" tells you that part of the memory isn't all that vivid. I can't remember who it was, but I believe it was my mom or sister.)

My repsonse is very clear, though. I told them that I loved being seven and that I didn't want to leave that age. I had no desire to become the grand age of eight. This makes perfect sense to me. If we love where we are, why would we want to ever leave? Like that birthday eve, however, time does pass and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. I turned 8 and 9 and 10......
Life does call us to leave things we love and sometimes the things (or ones) we love leave us.

Today is my birthday. Last night I had no desire to turn one year older. I didn't cry about it, just in case you are wondering. Time passes even faster than it did at 7 and before I know it I will be looking at the calendar on December 7, 2009, another birthday's eve. The truth is I don't really know that. I don't know what tomorrow holds. I have been given this day. I must choose how I will live it. If I love where I am, I must love it fully, for it is fleeting. If I do not love where I am, I can choose to make it better. Happy Birthday to me!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Deb! Have a wonderful day in the Lord- Love in Him, Jen (Italia)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Debbie!!! Hope you had a fun day of Christmas shopping with Big Dan. Love you! Linette