Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane.....

Eight hours from now, I will be getting in the car to head for the airport and then to Japan. It just feels odd. It wasn't one of the items on the list of "Things Deb might do someday", and yet here I go. I always knew that Luke would go to Japan. It was just in him, but I hadn't considered it for myself. Luke is there now, though and I want to see him there. I feel privileged to get to go visit him.

I am suffering from a large dose of melancholy in the moment, though. I tend to get sad when anyone leaves on an airplane, even if I'm the one leaving. I can't really think of a good reason for this other than I don't care much for good-byes and somehow boarding a plane seems more of a good-bye than other modes of transportation. Flying usually means you are going too far away to drive. Feels like a long good-bye to me.

I love to travel and see new places, but I also love to be home. I'm comfortable here. I mean that more emotionally than physically. Perhaps I should have said it is comforting to be home. When I am away I miss all the people I love. I miss my piano. I miss my cats. Honestly, I miss my bed. (Okay, so that one is a physical comfort.) Anyway, I'm all packed (finally) and I've sighed a hundred times this evening, yes, and even fought back a few tears. I think I'll go play the piano one more time before I leave.

It will be awhile before I post again. Hopefully though I will have some great stories of Luke and Japan. Sayounara!

No comments: