Monday, October 6, 2008

Lead Me to Rest

The Japanese have a word for the empty spaces between words. It is called ma. In a sense there is a reading between the lines and deeper hidden meaning can be found in these quiet places. There is an atmosphere created by the words around these spaces that help interpret their significance.

In my piano lessons, my instructor reminds me of the importance of the rest. He tells me that in order to give a song it's greatest interpretation, I must give the rests their full value. The empty spaces give life to the notes played all around them.

My life is full, sometimes it is busy, too busy. There is a lot of stuff going on, a plethora of things to do, a whole bunch of people to be with, all kinds of needs to be met, both mine and everyone elses. There is noise, plenty of it! There are words, tons of words, so much talking!

God calls me to a quiet place of rest. He calls me to consider "ma"....empty spaces. It is there that I find the deeper meaning. He knows that it is in the silence that the rest of my living gathers its breath. I must give rest it's full value.

In the quiet place
Where His presence fills the space
I will find my rest

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deb- I totally agree- when we were home from Italia, it was very hectic- I think the Italians have a good idea with taking the time to rest, eat and enjoy! God is so right in telling us to be still and know He is God! Miss you! Jen (Italia)