Monday, October 27, 2008

Let's Not Waste It

On Saturday I attended a Memorial Service for a woman who had finally lost the battle with cancer. The service was beautiful and honored her and the Lord. Angie discovered a lump on her breast 4 and a half years ago while she was on her honeymoon. Her entire married life was spent dealing with this disease. That's tough!

I was touched by many things that were shared on Saturday, but there is one thing in particular that has kept me thinking since then. Angie, newly married, eager to move into her role as wife and hopefully mother was given a new direction quite different from the one she thought she signed up for. Suddenly there was a war raging and she was on the front line. She accepted her new position, put on her armor and stepped into the fray. She fought the battle feircely, but not just for her own survival. While she was struggling for her own life, she remembered others who were also in the same war. She helped to raise 7 million dollars for inflammatory breast cancer research. Wow! Can I just say it again? Wow!

What kind of energy did Angie really have for that kind of task? Probably very little if any, and yet she still did it. I thought about how much time I waste on a daily basis. What could I be accomplishing? for others? for the Kingdom of God? One step further I have to ask myself a couple more questions. Do I even take very good care of the things God has already placed in my hands....my home, my belongings and more importantly, the people with whom I share this life? How am I using the time He has given me on this Earth? I don't know how many days I have yet to live, but I do know that while heaven is forever, my time here has a limitation. What will I do with it?

No comments: