Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Cat Nap


Most of you think of a cat nap as just a little snooze somewhere in your day. I am assuming it got it's name from the fact that cats sleep a lot, especially during the day. My cat nap is just a little different. You might remember from an earlier blog "Sleepless" that I love to nap. There is something extra special about napping on a Sunday afternoon, too. Somehow it refreshes me for the week ahead. Oh, but back to the cat nap......
My cat nap actually includes a cat, sometimes two. We have two cats at this house. Simon is the elder. He is silver tabby and white and has a very cute pink nose. He is mine. Nobu Naga is the younger, all black cat. He is mine, also. Well, theoretically he is Luke's. Luke picked him out after having to get rid of a cat that was given to him. (Kiku was a wild, crazy kitten who did not understand the concept of the litter pan. Poor Kiku, as cute as she was, had to go be an outdoor kitty.) Anyway, Luke chose Nobu, but I have paid for his every need, and I believe that Nobu thinks he is mine.
Now that the cats are introduced, back to the nap. Sometimes I let Simon nap with me, especially if I only want a short nap. He wants to be too close. He prefers to have his little head near mine, snuggled into my right shoulder. Sometimes he makes a little whimper sound when he sleeps and often he decides he needs to bathe in the middle of the nap and the licking begins. It is just too much for me and disturbs my sleep. Nobu on the other hand, is the perfect napping companion. He settles in quickly right up against my left hip. When I adjust, he adjusts. He sleeps for good long stretches before needing to bathe. He is in the perfect spot for my hand to rest on him. When I stir and give him a little pat, sometimes leaving my hand on him, he just purrs up a storm. The vibration and the sound is very comforting (especially when it is not right in my face, as Simon likes to do).

There is no "moral of the story" or spiritual analogy regarding this blog. I could probably come up with one if I thought long and hard enough. Nope, just wanted to share what a true cat nap experience really looks like. On this Sunday afternoon, I had a two cat nap. Yep, one on my right shoulder and one on my left hip.

No comments: