Monday, September 1, 2008

Good-byes...

Good-byes are never easy for me. It honestly feels like a part of my heart is being taken away....it's painful. We said good-bye...sayonara...to Luke at the airport at 6 a.m. yesterday morning (Aug 31). It is strange how you can be so excited for someone and feel so sad simultaneously. Well, at least, I can.

The previous night Luke and I were home alone (Dan and Jesse had gone to the Mizzou game). I had been pushing back the feelings all day, knowing that it was just hours before Luke would be on his way around the world. That evening, though, Luke began to put down some layers on his loop machine with his electric and then began to play a melancholy melody that was coming straight from his heart. It reflected my own heart so clearly and the tears came rushing out. There was no longer any way to hold them back. He of course was unaware that his Mom was in the kitchen nearly sobbing as he played. Finally, he stopped and joined me. I said, "Thanks for the song, you made me cry." He said, "Yeah, it was sad, but I had to play what was in me." I understood completely....it was what was in me, too.

I asked what he wanted for dinner, and then chuckled as I asked if he wanted me to fix him a quesadilla. It was always Luke's and my default meal. Whenever we didn't know what else to have, I'd ask if he wanted me to fix him a quesadilla. He usually said yes, and this time was no different. He told me he needed to run a quick errand and that he would fix some guacamole when he got back and I could make the quesadillas. It was a great meal! Mostly it was a great moment in time.

Luke called from Detroit. He had arrived safely and had befriended the flight attendant who gave him and Anna (the other student going to Nagoya) vouchers for lunch in the airport. Good going, Luke! He texted his, "Sayonara!" as he boarded for Japan. Of course, that made me cry. This morning he emailed via his cell that he had arrived safely, all was well, and would we please let Lindsay know.

Yesterday I also said good-bye to a sweet couple from Quest (church) that managed to make their way into my heart, Dan and Lisa Rouse. They are moving for a job transfer. It will be a good thing for their family and I'm looking forward to hearing what God will do in their lives. Still, I will miss them.

Good-byes are really hard, they kind of stink, really. I remember another point in my life when it seemed like a lot of people were leaving me. My dad had died and several of my friends moved away. I asked God why everyone was leaving me. He reminded me that they didn't belong to me, they belonged to Him. So, Lisa, Dan, and Luke, you belong to Him, but I will miss you like crazy!!!!! My love and prayers go with you!

No comments: