Thursday, September 18, 2008

Paralysis or Proper Perspective?

I had a meeting this morning. When I got in my car to leave it wouldn't start......odd. It is only a year old, so I wouldn't expect the battery to be dead. I did, however, go to the basement and search for our battery charger, which I couldn't find. (My husband says it is on the shelf next to work bench, but I didn't see it.) When I went back to the garage I realized that my keys would not come out of the ignition. They would move in the direction of starting the car, but not move back, nor come out. I tried to adjust the wheel. It had movement, it wasn't jammed. I tried to adjust the gear shift. It wouldn't move with any amount of wiggling or pounding. (I didn't kick it, though I thought about it.) Still the car won't start. It most likely is unrelated to the battery. I suppose my car "thinks" it is in gear, not park, and it has no inclination to start in that position.

My car has a certain perspective in the moment. Sometimes my perspective is off, too. In the midst of my circumstances, I can be absolutely convinced that a certain thing is happening. I may be paralyzed by that view and unable to get started and move in any direction. My outlook is confined by so many human limitations. My vision becomes much clearer when my focus changes from my circumstance to One who knows right where I am and where He is taking me. I am reminded of these words, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways." (Is 55:8)

I made it to the meeting. Someone came to get me and brought me home. My car still sits in the garage. I had some errands to run, or so I thought. I could be very frustrated with this circumstance, or I can rest in knowing, His perspective is much greater than mine, even for this day.

No comments: