Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Weaving

Today I was at the mall. I actually went to pick up some boxes from a store I work at occasionally. When I was leaving with the boxes I noticed a purse in the parking lot a few spaces down from my car. It would have been an easy steal for someone. I went back into the store and looked through the purse to see if I could find some information about who it belonged to and hopefully a phone number to call.

There were several charge cards, receipts, pictures of a baby, driver's license, a check book, and a bunch of other stuff, but absolutely nothing with a phone number on it, not even the checkbook. Her car keys were also in there. It felt so strange.....invasive, to go through this person's purse. I did want to return it, however, and knew of no other way to find the information I needed. Finally, I wrote down some information from her insurance card. I thought I will call her agent's office, give them her name and they can look up her information. I left the purse at the store and the manager, my friend, Leeanna, called security and asked them to pick it up. I called the insurance office and asked them to call the lost purse lady and tell her that her purse had been found and was at the mall security office.

I thought about how easy it would have been for someone to walk away with this purse without a second thought and how easy it would have been for someone to steal her identity. I would never have considered taking it and wouldn't have the guts to use the charge cards. I have no clue how to steal an identity, nor would I want to. I think that is a good thing. I did think for about a half a second about the Starbuck's card, though. Fair reward, don't you think? I'm kidding!

So why me? Why did I find it instead of someone else? Was a prayer being answered on her behalf? I have no clue and will never know the end of the story. I do believe this, though, our lives are never ever isolated. God weaves them together in mysterious ways. Sometimes we see the workings of the web, but many times I believe we don't have any idea that it is happening or that we are a part of it. I love that about God.

1 comment:

jookypop said...

and here i thought this post was gonna be about dying goat fur with local flora.