Saturday, September 13, 2008

Riders of the Storm

I follow hurricanes. I don't know why. When I hear a storm is brewing, I keep my eye on it. I read the articles, I look at the pictures, I watch the videos regarding it. They facinate me somehow. They are powerful beasts! They swirl across the waters, sometimes more organized than others, gaining, than losing power to gain again. Man can do absolutely nothing against such a monster, except possibly predict where the greatest impact may be as it roars onto shore.

Hurricane Ike ran into the state of Texas early this morning. Only a catagory 2, but nearly 600 miles in diameter. That is about the size of the state itself. He had already raged through Haiti, Cuba and the surrounding islands wrecking havoc. (See my blog "An Ocean Away".) I am amazed at the people who try to stay and ride it out, especially after receiving stern warning to evacuate. What do they think they could possibly do against such a great storm? Can they keep the surge that runs ahead of the hurricane at bay (pun intended)? Can they push back walls of water 20 feet or more high? Can they hush winds of 100 or more miles an hour that howl around them, ripping homes and buildings to shreds?

I believe in a sovereign God, One who is Lord over all. I believe that He is sovereign, yes, over nature. I believe that He could say one word and that Ike would stop in his spinning tracks. Yet, I wonder how many times I stand with my hands on my hips and refuse to budge in His presence. Do I think I can hold back surges and "walls" of water that come into my life? Do I think I can quiet storms that rage around me? Why do I sometimes refuse to evacuate? refuse to leave my stuff behind? hold on to things? cling to the past or the present?..... when I should be dropping it as fast as I can and running into the arms of the only One who can calm the storm or carry me through? Do you do the same thing?

Many will have nothing as they return to their neighborhoods. Lord, they have had no choice but to lay their "stuff" down. Be their Provider. Help them cling to You.

No comments: