Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The music in me....

What does music do to you? It moves me. Can you imagine a movie without the backdrop of song? Sometimes I wish our lives had musical undergirdings and I think mine does, but it plays in my own head. (Of course, I have more songs in my head than the average person. I've even been given the title of "The Original iPod".) I suppose it would be annoying if all of our songs were playing simultaneously. Maybe though they would only interact with those with whom you were presently engaged or at least those who you acknowledge as being in your general realm of influence. It would be like a dance, a give and take in partnership. Perhaps it would sound like an orchestra with each person playing their part on their unique musical instrument.....entering and exiting at just the right time, blending, harmonizing, swelling, then suddenly softer, pausing, then back in......

Most of the time we live in such disharmony with one another, that our songs sound more like an orchestra tuning up, each one playing their own little song in their own little corner as loud as they possibly can so they can hear themselves and drown out the distraction of others. Why do we live like that? Playing the symphony together is so much more powerful than the chaos and randomness of the individual tune-up. The symphony, concerto or whatever particular movement or piece has moments of complete togetherness where all play in unison, the same notes, the same way. There are also times where the parts compliment one another. Living in complete harmony with one another there are times when we should be showcasing the other person, encouraging them to play their solo and play it well.

Sadly, I am also struck by the thought that there are those who can no longer discern the song within them. The music has completely gone out of their lives. If our lives did have a soundtrack, what would we hear when they walked into the room, into our general realm of influence? Silence? Would we hear their song even if their ears and heart have turned deaf to it? Are we willing to stop tuning our own instrument in our own little corner long enough to sing their song back to them? to help them remember? to help them pick up their instrument and play it once again?

I can't imagine my life without music.....I can't imagine yours without it either. Don't forget your song! I need to hear it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet you like the movie August Rush, don't you?
:)

jookypop said...

does your head just play rem on repeat? im tellin you. they would do the soundtrack for your movie. go to amazon and give new adventures in hi-fi a listen, or automatic for the people. those 2 represent the style that i feel, suits your soundtrack. i know you'ld probrably rather have somethin else... sorry. you dont get to pick your soundtrack. it chooses you. kinda like a spirit animal, only different.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6my6buPOUek

Jannie Funster said...

Hello! I found your blog under the "Songwriting" tag on Blogger.

And see we have quite a lot in common as my life has been a constant soundtrack since ever I can remember, in fact I'm putting some of my songs into a musical called "I Need A Man." Hey, why not? Nobody's gonna do it for me.

Without music? I think we would all die. God did extra good when he gifted us with it.

Jannie

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jannie! Thanks for your comment. Yeah, a life without music.....how incredibly dull!